Monday, January 18, 2010

FTVMS 212/328: Interesting links

Hi everybody, I've found a variety of interesting articles and games which I thought might be good points for discussion, so I'll put them up here.

Games 'Permit' Virtual War Crimes: A study which considers games in terms of how they function comparative to international rules of war. Of course, games are fictional, whereas war crimes are not...

The Big Quest(ion):
Rock Paper Shotgun consider moral decision-making in games, and the problems which can come up. Also useful for exploring ergodicity/cybertextuality.

A game mod where every noise in Half-Life 2 has been replaced by the modder's voice.
Richly detailed, and extremely silly.

Only Pedophiles Play 'Animal Crossing.' A great example which manages to combine 'games are for kids, thus if you're not a kid you're a predator' and general scaremongering.

Jack Thompson says that game designers are conspiring with the US department of defence. Speaks for itself.

Today I Die: A simple game created by Daniel Benmergui which has been nominated for a number of awards, and worth considering in terms of the affective experience. Playing around and experimenting with it is part of how it's supposed to work.

I Fell In Love With The Majesty of Colours: Created by Gregory Weir, and another branching game with a distinctive experience.

- Kevin.

2 comments:

  1. Not quite the same person. Today I Die is by Daniel Benmergui, I Fell In Love With The Majesty of Colours is by Gregory Weir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap! I stand entirely corrected Sergio, thank you!

    I ran into the two games in the same roundup, so I entirely missed that point.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.