In lecture 4, affect, consequence and immersion issues are remind me of the only game that I used to play when I was 10 years old. The name of the game was "Princess Maker II." The "Princess Maker" is a series of Japanese life simulation games by the computer game and anime production company Gainax.
Princess Maker II is the only game of the series to have been officially translated into English. In Princess Maker II, the second game in the series, I play a swordsman who adopts a ten-year-old girl and raises her from the age of 10 to the age of 18 at which point she will enter a line of work; the most desirable outcome is that of a royal princess, hence the name of the game. The girl has a set of statistics that fluctuate depending on the activities you assign to her schedule, including various part-time jobs, schooling, adventure, and free time. During adventures, the player controls the girl directly, using a top-down view similar to that seen in RPGs of that period. It is these statistics that ultimately determine her final occupation, her skill level in her line of work, and her overall happiness in life; her marital fate is also decided, in part, by these statistics. At the end of the game, the girl goes into a line of work; what this work is, how much talent she has for it, her marital life, and her overall happiness all depend on my actions. There are various endings such as burlesque dancer, teacher, prostitution, nun, soldier and so on. I thought this game is actually shows each choice and consequences joins into a chain of cause-and-effect as well as whatever I choose, responsible for consequences regarding to my decision. That is why I deeply engrossed in this game, Princess Maker II.
Felicity S
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.