Thursday, February 4, 2010

To be addicted (for a bit) without it being problematic use?

Ok, after all the talk of videogame addiction and problematic use, I came to wonder if it were possible for a person to be “addicted” in such a way, but for it not to be classed as entirely problematic. You see, the one proper experience I had at being what I would think is addicted to a videogame was when I played Amped 3 on Xbox360 for the first time, way back in 2006. I played the game non-stop, until I clocked it. That was my goal, I wanted to complete every challenge and obtain every reward possible, and I didn’t sleep until I did that. I think that my own example here does show that I was temporarily addicted; however it was not that it was problematic use because my addiction did not persist thereafter. Also, when I have played casual games in the past such as Tetris, bejewelled, bubble bobble, and pacman, my orientation is quite similar- I’m going for high score and I (usually) won’t stop until I fulfil or exceed my intentions, even if it takes hours on end. I think that in such cases as my own, (where the pursuit of reward can display qualities such as determination and persistence) that the addiction that is being experienced at that specific time is a display of my indomitable willingness to succeed at a task. And maybe it could be possible for the people who are actual problematic users of videogames to channel their commitment into other beneficial experiences more readily than others. Can their persistence possibly be viewed as something that could potentially be transferred to other walks of life, and could they be more driven to succeed in other ventures is what I wonder.

V.Laird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.