Sunday, January 31, 2010

Immersion/Hypermediacy; a tricky subject

The terms 'immersion' and 'hypermediacy' are tricky, my question is whether or not hypermediac act of a character addressing the audience necessarily breaks immersion.

We know that immersion is basically to be completely involved and encapsulated in a text, whereas hypermediacy is the media drawing attention to itself. One would therefore make the assumption that if a character in a medium addresses you directly it is clearly drawing attention to this fact and breaks the immersion you have with it.

I find that this is not the case in a wide variety of mediums such as in television, where Malcom in 'Malcom in the Middle' constantly describes his life to the viewers, and in print like in the 'deadpool' comics where the main protagonist does the same thing.

In both of these cases I find that the opposite of what is expected happens, if anything I am further immersed in the story of the specific medium I am engaging in as I feel to be involved in it on some level.

It is harder to give examples of this point with regards to video games as it is common to be addressed directly since you are on some degree meant to be a part of the game however I believe this topic and discussion of it's terms is still relevant.

I am sure that there is a more logical explanation for this inconsistency but would be interested to discuss it further and see what other people have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.