I am overly engrossed by independent game development. I probably play way too many independent games. Of the 17 games Kevin put onto Cecil (16 of which were ‘indie’ games), The Expelations of The Little Green Pod Man was the only one I hadn’t previously played. The ways in which independent games can differ so much from mainstream commercial fare is probably what attracts me most to the concept, along with the high availability of indie games of outdated genres which have ceased to be commercially viable to large development studios.
Of particular interest to me is the site Glorious Trainwrecks, which celebrates games which are “terrible in a way that is AWESOME”. At this site, an event called Klik of the Month Klub happens monthly in which people create ‘unpolished’ games (game sketches, if you will) during a 2-hour timeframe. The software typically used for creation is Klik & Play, with which almost anyone can make a game with a little effort. Upcoming is an attempt to make 371 games during a single weekend, a task that seems daunting to me compared with the number of people who will likely be involved. If you feel like making a game, contribute! It’s easy, really.
I make games myself... I finished development of one just last night, and in two hours I plan to head to the Auckland Global Game Jam, a 48-hour long event in which game artisans meet and collaborate to make a game. I’ve never done anything like this before; I’ll be meeting total strangers and I have no idea how the event will pan out. Maybe I will post about it here after it has occurred. EDIT: I did!
-Sergio C
Friday, January 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome! I've recently become interested in making games; I downloaded 'Construct' and 'Game Maker' to play around with, and feel they have some great potential. What software do you use? Anything you could recommend?
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested to hear how the game jam turns out!
I use mostly Game Maker, which is simple and flawed but can be worked with incredibly quickly. Construct is probably an even better option, but it doesn't work properly on my computer... you might also be interested in Unity which is easily capable of 3D browser-based games.
ReplyDeleteThe Game Jam turned out good, as you can read. The game my team made is here.