Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gaming with the iPad

Following the release of the iPad this week I have heard a coupel mentioning how it will be good for games. However I am intrigued as to how playing with a touch screen will effect immersion. Unlike traditional gaming interfaces using a touch screen will, I think, result in a loss of immersion. Because the control interfaces is the same place as the game screen there is potential for the players on hands to get in the way creating difficulties in playing the game that would most likely break immersion. Another point about playing games on a touch screen is the fact you will have to look at the controls. Traditional interfaces have raised buttons that allow the player to press a button without having to look at it. After having used a touch screen cell phone for a year or so I still had to look at the keypad while I was texting because if I didn’t, I often pressed the wrong button. This is likely to occur when using a tablet PC. The person playing will have to focus on the controls instead of the action otherwise the risk pressing the wrong button. This will break immersion as well because the player will be to focussed on the controls.

Patrick R

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.