Saturday, January 16, 2010

A new interface: Project Natal.

With Wednesday’s lecture covering some important changes in the history of game play viewpoint and perspective, I thought it would be timely if I shared with the class a short YouTube clip that contains a demonstration of a new, soon to be released gaming interface which is set to revolutionize the way in which we are able to engage in game play.
So I’ve heard a bit about this new gaming interface that is to be launched later in the year by Microsoft called Project Natal. Essentially Project Natal is a 3D camera for gaming which can interpret angles and movements of a gamer, without the need for a handheld controller; it is similar to the Eye Toy that Logitech released back in 2004. So what can Project Natal do in terms of increasing immersion? Well it certainly increases immediacy in forming possibly the most direct relationship with the screen and what is beyond. With Project Natal, hypermediacy is largely extinguished by a player’s ability to act the part of the character in the most natural manner (see video). I think that immersion is increased with the use of Project Natal, where embodiment, especially physical embodiment is utilized during game play where the presence of the interface is eliminated, with it becoming the game and the gamer.
It’s interesting to read the mixed responses to the announcement/ demonstration of Project Natal. Some people can’t wait to get one, whilst others (fewer) seem to think it’s going to flop big time. I personally think that Project Natal is a development that will be embraced by many of the 31 million Xbox360 owners, based on its appeal to the Nintendo Wii-type market, (essentially Project Natal has the same appeal, minus the Wiimote) and the success of the Nintendo Wii having sold over 56 million units.

See for yourself:



V.Laird.

1 comment:

  1. That actually looks pretty awesome! I saw Project Milo on youtube after that. It was pretty creepy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY&feature=fvw

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.